Thursday, February 23, 2023

On blogging in 2023




First, here are things I’d like to have in the ideal world:

  • Modern and minimalist yet functional design
  • Markdown support to ensure the content is portable
  • Accessible via mobile
  • Photo galleries for particular posts and the blog itself
  • Email subscriptions
  • Affordable enough, so you don’t care about running it forever
  • Effortless backups
  • Connected to your personal domain

Turns out, it’s hard to find all of these things combined. Pricing is important to me at the ideological level. I can afford to pay $10+ a month, but I’m more likely to start wondering if I need to continue unless I suddenly have a very popular blog on my hands.

In fact, none of the options out there seem ideal to me – they range from mediocre to acceptable. Especially if you want anything more than a series of relatively long text-focused posts. Choose the one you like the most and stick with it as long as possible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home